The Graphix Shop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Graphix Shop

A place to request Graphix such a signatures, website banners, avatars and much more. We also have Jesus Christ as our focus and offer Daily Devotions and open discussions.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

"Christian Rock / Heavy Metal"

Go down 
+3
TheKid
Redeemed
=AiA=Echo93
7 posters
AuthorMessage
=AiA=Echo93

"Christian Rock / Heavy Metal" Empty
PostSubject: "Christian Rock / Heavy Metal"   "Christian Rock / Heavy Metal" Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 3:49 am

I have had a few "discussions" on this topic with a couple different people.

What are your ideas on it? Is "Christian Rock / Heavy Metal" truly "Christian music" or is it just Christian lyrics put to worldly music?

I'll post what I think once I hear what y'all think.

BTW. Please don't quote anyone. Please just use your own words...
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelsinarmor.org
Redeemed
Founder
Founder
Redeemed

PostSubject: Re: "Christian Rock / Heavy Metal"   "Christian Rock / Heavy Metal" Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 7:38 am

Well I am going to do what you told me not to do and Qoute someone...lol...but i am quoting our Lord.......What man has intended for evil The Lord turns into Good. With that said I think it is fine to add God to Heavy metal as long as it is Glorifying God. Just my Opinion.
Back to top Go down
https://redeemed.forummotion.com
=AiA=Echo93

PostSubject: Re: "Christian Rock / Heavy Metal"   "Christian Rock / Heavy Metal" Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 7:48 am

Oh oops. What I meant to say was please don't quote man. Quoting God is perfectly fine with me Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TheKid

PostSubject: Re: "Christian Rock / Heavy Metal"   "Christian Rock / Heavy Metal" Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 1:45 pm

Psalm 150
1 Praise the LORD.
Praise God in his sanctuary;
praise him in his mighty heavens.

2 Praise him for his acts of power;
praise him for his surpassing greatness.

3 Praise him with the sounding of the trumpet,
praise him with the harp and lyre,

4 praise him with tambourine and dancing,
praise him with the strings and flute,

5 praise him with the clash of cymbals,
praise him with resounding cymbals.

6 Let everything that has breath praise the LORD.
Praise the LORD.

I think it doesn't matter the beat or the instruments that are used, but the words gone into it that make it Christian.
Back to top Go down
|CoR|Mythbuster

|CoR|Mythbuster

PostSubject: Re: "Christian Rock / Heavy Metal"   "Christian Rock / Heavy Metal" Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 2:31 pm

honestly, i listen to Christian metal. Demon Hunter is amazing, its sort of one of those in-between things that people would think it wasnt religious at all. What i have realized is if you look closer at the lyrics you really realize what it is all about
Back to top Go down
=AiA=Echo93

PostSubject: Re: "Christian Rock / Heavy Metal"   "Christian Rock / Heavy Metal" Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 10:28 pm

Just out of curiosity, Do you guys think Christian metal / rock and all that is ok as long as the lyrics are good? ( like, it doesn't matter the beat, as long as the lyrics are good?)
Back to top Go down
RaptureReady

PostSubject: Re: "Christian Rock / Heavy Metal"   "Christian Rock / Heavy Metal" Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 11:19 pm

I guess I will have to be the old ball in the bunch because I totally disagree with "christian" Rock, Rap, Country, and most contemporary music today.

Why?

Well first it is a conviction that God gave ME. I used to listen to this stuff, but not as a Christian, but as a wordly(lost) person. Telling the truth I enjoyed the music of Metallic, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, Queen, Slayer, Eagles, Buffet, all country, maybe 1% rap(lol), but when God moved back into my life or should I say when I allowed God to move back into my life, things had to change and one of them was my music, not to mention smoking, drinking, drugs, etc.

I destroyed everything that I had, but it didn't happen over night, it took preaching and the Holy Spirits conviction of this to show me the music was not right, it was not glorifing God.

Now today, I hear music that says its Christian and may have some lyrics that mention Jesus and the artist probably are Christian, but I believe they are misguided Christians. The Bible warns us that in the last days the devil will have his ministers(2 Corinthians, chapter 11), and if he has ministers I'm sure they will have a church, music, pews, altars, new bibles, etc. and I believe this is not talking about the worldly music, but the music found in most churches today, the rock, the rap, most contemporary music. I believe the devils music has crept into the churches as a wolf in sheeps clothing and we are falling for it today.

Another thing I saw in my life is how my kids react to the "christian" music of today. For instance, I heard a song from a contemporary artist(cannot remember name), Sweet by and by. This is a great hymn and it was interesting to hear a different version so I decided to buy the entire CD, which had about 12 hymns that was in a different beat. Well, a couple were ok, but the majority I did like the change, but what I took note of is when my family and I was in the van I put the CD in and on most of the songs the kids starting be-bopping around, swaying left to right and the van was rocking...lol I fell under conviction and stopped the CD and talked to my kids. I asked them, kids, what moved first when you heard these songs, your flesh or your spirit and they said flesh. That spoke to me that most of the contemporary music today, be it rock, rap, easy listening, country, etc., does not please God.

I know that this probably does mean a thing to most of you, but like I said above, I'm the old ball(1 Peter 2:9) and this is my conviction and I cannot convince you to stop listening to any music, it is up to the Holy Spirit to show you this. I pray that he does.

One last thing, music and the beat does matter. If it didn't, then you would not be scared if mary poppins was singing in those scary movies. Music makes a difference and the difference should be honoring to God.

Go Hymns! And yes kids love them today. Smile
Back to top Go down
=AiA=Echo93

PostSubject: Re: "Christian Rock / Heavy Metal"   "Christian Rock / Heavy Metal" Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 2:04 am

I'm with RaptureReady on this one. I am completely opposed to all the "Christian" heavy metal / thrash metal / rock / rap / etc. I guess that makes 2 odd balls. Smile

If you want to see in detail what was said in a "debate" on this subject, please let me know and I will PM a link to you. ( I would post the link but it could come across as recruiting for my clan.. which isn't allowed - I think )

God bless!
-Sarah
Back to top Go down
Redeemed
Founder
Founder
Redeemed

PostSubject: Re: "Christian Rock / Heavy Metal"   "Christian Rock / Heavy Metal" Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 7:37 am

Echo if you'd like you can copy and paste your responce to the debate here....If you want. That would be fine. I know your not trying to recruit for your clan....and even if you are...well never mind that....you can post it if youd like Surprised
Back to top Go down
Dusty

PostSubject: Re: "Christian Rock / Heavy Metal"   "Christian Rock / Heavy Metal" Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 7:42 am

i think christian heavy metal is ok if you can hear the words. not the demon filled regular heavy metal singers.
Back to top Go down
=AiA=Echo93

PostSubject: Re: "Christian Rock / Heavy Metal"   "Christian Rock / Heavy Metal" Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 7:52 am

Here's 1 of the main things I said in a former "debate"

"I'll admit, my beliefs about music are quite strict, but here's what I believe.

First off, if the lyrics glorify God, then the song will most likely be labeled "Christian" in the local music store. But in order for the song to be labeled "Christian" , in my beliefs, the song must be judged by the music part and by the lyrics. If the electric guitars and the drums are very loud, and the voices can barely be heard as they're singing the God-glorifying lyrics, I don't know how you can consider that "Christian music".

In my family, my Dad will hand me a CD and ask me to listen to it, and see if it's any good. When I listen to the CD, I, like most people, listen to the music part first. Then I'll pay a lot of attention to the lyrics.

Through my perspective, if the song naturally makes a person want to bob their head up and down, and act like their souls are being ripped out, that is not the type of music I want to listen to. On these commercials on TV, people advertise "Praise songs" or "Worship songs" or they'll say "These songs glorify God" when really, the lyrics may be glorifying God, but nobody can hear the lyrics because the electric guitars and drums are soooooo loud. I've heard a couple of songs on various CD's that I couldn't hear the lyrics no matter how loud I turned the volume.

It absolutely sickens me to hear what songs some so called "Christian teenagers" listen to. Some of you most likely would think these songs are good because "The lyrics glorify God". But in reality,
the music part of it doesn't glorify God.

I'm not going to get into this real far, but here is a simple test to see if your music truly glorifies God.

1. Do the lyrics glorify God?
2. Does the music glorify God?
3. If God came into my home today, and listened to my CD's, would He say "Well done thou good and faithful servant. This music truly glorifies me in every aspect."

If the answer to all 3 questions is "yes", then the music glorifies God in my opinion.

Lots of people don't agree with me on this subject, but that is my opinion on music.

-Sarah"
Back to top Go down
TheKid

PostSubject: Re: "Christian Rock / Heavy Metal"   "Christian Rock / Heavy Metal" Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 12:39 pm

Well my question is, what do you consider the contemporary Christian music? Like what about the songs like "How Great is our God", "Blessed be Your Name", "The Heart of Worship", to me, it isn't the beat that affects me first, but the words in those songs. Because every time I hear those songs it leads me to joy and worshiping God. Or "Mission's Flame" which reignites the passion in my soul to go out and save the lost. But just like when the Church was starting out, it is where you came from. Like in Romans when Paul is speaking about if eating meat causes your Brother/Sister to sin, then don't eat it in their presence, because those who had worshiped idols before they came to Christ had sacrificed that same meat to their idols, or the Jews who considered it unclean. And how eating/not eating meat doesn't make you any better than the other.

Romans 14:3
The man who eats everything must not look down on him who does not, and the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him.

Romans 14:15-18

15If your brother is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy your brother for whom Christ died. 16Do not allow what you consider good to be spoken of as evil. 17For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, 18because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and approved by men.
Back to top Go down
|CoR|Mythbuster

|CoR|Mythbuster

PostSubject: Re: "Christian Rock / Heavy Metal"   "Christian Rock / Heavy Metal" Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 12:45 pm

i guess maybe its ok if i post this? we recently had a discussion about this on CoR's forums and i thought maybe some points could be made with this post

http://www.corclan.com/forums/index.php?topic=14510.30
Back to top Go down
TheKid

PostSubject: Re: "Christian Rock / Heavy Metal"   "Christian Rock / Heavy Metal" Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 12:58 pm

I'm not going really against you guys because everyone has their own interpratations on smaller subjects, such as in this instance it's music, but God has told us to praise him with instruments in some verses of the bible. Some really great Christian songs are contemporary if you want to read the rest you can just search it, even if you don't want to hear the song you can still read the beautiful lyrics to them.

How Great is Our God by Chris Tomlin

He wraps Himself in light
And darkness tries to hide
It trembles at His voice
Trembles at His voice

How great is our God, sing with me
How great is our God and all will see
How great, how great is our God

The Heart of Worship

I'll bring you more than a song for a song in itself
Is not what you have required. You search much deeper within
Through the way things appear. You're looking into my heart

I'm coming back to the heart of worship
And it's all about you, all about you, Jesus
I'm sorry, Lord, for the thing I've made it
When it's all about you, all about you, Jesus

Blessed Be Your Name

When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

Blessed be Your name
When the sun's shining down on me
When the world's 'all as it should be'
Blessed be Your name

Blessed be Your name
On the road marked with suffering
Though there's pain in the offering
Blessed be Your name

Mission's Flame

Let worship be the fuel for mission's flame
We're going with a passion for Your name
We're going for we care about Your praise
Send us out

You should be the praise of every tongue, Jesus
You should be the joy of every heart
But until the fullness of Your kingdom comes
Until the final revelation dawns
Send us out

Every tribe, every tongue
Every creature in the heavens and the earth
Every heart, every soul
Will sing Your praise, will sing Your praise
Every note, every strain
Every melody will be for You alone
Every harmony that flows from every tongue
We'll sing Your praise, we'll sing Your praise
We'll sing Your praise, we'll sing Your praise
Back to top Go down
Redeemed
Founder
Founder
Redeemed

PostSubject: Re: "Christian Rock / Heavy Metal"   "Christian Rock / Heavy Metal" Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 4:03 pm

Chris Tomlin has great lyrics
Back to top Go down
Invisible0428
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: "Christian Rock / Heavy Metal"   "Christian Rock / Heavy Metal" Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 10:24 pm

I've been listening to Chris Tomlin all morning! Since 6 am Wink ...for those that are like all morning??! hahaha
Back to top Go down
|CoR|Mythbuster

|CoR|Mythbuster

PostSubject: Re: "Christian Rock / Heavy Metal"   "Christian Rock / Heavy Metal" Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 10:25 pm

i like indescribable Smile

From the highest of heights to the depths of the sea
Creation's revealing Your majesty
From the colors of fall to the fragrance of spring
Every creature unique in the song that it sings
All exclaiming

Indescribable, uncontainable,
You placed the stars in the sky and You know them by name.
You are amazing God
All powerful, untamable,
Awestruck we fall to our knees as we humbly proclaim
You are amazing God

Who has told every lightning bolt where it should go
Or seen heavenly storehouses laden with snow
Who imagined the sun and gives source to its light
Yet conceals it to bring us the coolness of night
None can fathom

You placed the stars in the sky and You know them by name
You are amazing God
All powerful, untamable,
You are amazing God
You are amazing God

You are amazing God
All powerful, untamable,
You are amazing God
You are amazing God
INCOMPARABLE, unchangeable
You see the depths of my heart and You love me the same
You are amazing God
You are amazing God
Back to top Go down
TheKid

PostSubject: Re: "Christian Rock / Heavy Metal"   "Christian Rock / Heavy Metal" Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2008 12:33 pm

Yeah, I like Chris Tomlin a lot. Same with David Crowder, a few of his songs are just random like in A Collision lol, but he also has a lot of great songs too. Here's a list of some of my favorite worship song/contemporary Christian writers - David Crowder Band (DC*B), Matt Redman, Charlie Hall, Chris Tomlin, Casting Crowns, Delirious?, Robbie Seah Band (haven't heard of them lately, but liked their 1st CD)
And my favorite kinda rock Christian music is Pillar and Kutless.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Christian Rock / Heavy Metal"   "Christian Rock / Heavy Metal" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Christian Rock / Heavy Metal"
Page 1 of 1